Friday 26 September 2008

Art Garfunkle Goes to War

Mammals living on land understand the world through smell in the same way we understand the world through social restrictions. Not all of them, but many of them do. It's a complex language of scent.
Scientists are becoming more and more convinced of the need to understand the emotional life of an animal in order to understand behavior.
I don't think I have a favorite cereal. I recently told someone that when I mix golden grahams and life, i get a special sort of joy. I think its true, but, having been away from cereal for a month now, I don't think I can call that a favorite anymore. I genuinely dislike cereal at least 80% of the time. It's tedious and bland and by the end of the bowl you're only eating out of some sort of muscular reaction to the sight of a bowl of particles. Even when I finish a bowl and think "I want more" and so I go get more, I don't think "Man, this stuff is great." I just want more to put in my mouth...my muscles haven't gotten over the bowl to mouth motion.
10:47 is constantly 5:47 to me. Not because i'm not used to the time switch yet, but because I have met three people here who have enjoyed talking to me because I'm a human, and not because I'm an American without a brain. Two are librarians. One I met today at the bookstore, and she only thought I was kind and sort of cute, and when I didn't look her in the eyes when she handed me my receipt, I think she got ticked and if I went back she'd probably stop being so nice. The librarians are dynamite though. Jason and Anna. Great people.
If I read too much in one day I get depressed that I'm by myself inside the books. What fun is understanding the world better if you can't experience it with other people, even intermittently.
I've recently discovered that my chief goal with my newest friend is to start a group of gypsy folk, travel around the world, and convince people that peace will save us all.
I will spend the rest of my time in England as a smattering of dirty bread crumbs, a spilled plate, a tipped glass, and an untold group of stories. The tragedies of an American.

No comments: